Questions common for incoming students

For FAQs just on our summer Early Start Program, please see our FAQ tab underneath our Early Start Section.



Who takes SF State's Write to Regiser (WTR) for English Composition and when?

Every SF State student who has not earned college credit for ENG 114 has the opportunity to take the WTR. To choose the best course for first-year composition, all entering first-time students should complete Write to Register two days before orientation.  This, combined with your English pathway in your student center, will help you make the best choice for your writing courses when enrolling.

How do I know if I need to take Early Start?

California residents who are in Pathway 4 for math, English, or both must take Early Start.  It is recommended for students in Pathway 3.

How do I know which Early Start course to sign up for?

For 2019, students should refer to the flyer at http://developmentalstudies.sfsu.edu/esp.

Why should I attend New Student Orientation?

In addition to being introduced to school resources and policies, students receive an earlier registration date than the general freshmen population--as well as assistance in registering.  This means orientation students have more choice of courses and times--and are more likely to sign up for the right courses as advisors are there in person to help. See New Student Programs page for more info.

What should I bring to New Student Orientation?

  • Unofficial copy of high school transcript
  • Unofficial copy of any college transcript (if took college courses)
  • Vaccination records if not already submitted (Most California High Schools do this for you)
  • Any other item requested by your "To Do" list or other department

What if I can't make it to New Student Orientation?

Questions common for continuing students

Why is my math course so heavy on group work?

SF State wants to help students move beyond memorization of formulas.  Solving problems in groups helps students develop the reasoning skills that will benefit them not only in future math courses, but any courses that require systematic problem-solving.  We realize it may be a new style of learning, so be sure to ask instructors, tutors (TASC), and our department for advice.

How do I sign up for tutoring?

Visit the Tutoring and Academic Support Center page (TASC) for updates on the brand new center opening in Spring 2020 in LIB 220.

I am having life challenges. How do I get advising or referrals?

Email us at develops@sfsu.edu to ask questions or make an appointment.  (We are in ADM 211.)

Questions common for international students

Do I have to take the ALEKS placement exam?

We ask international students to take this if they DO NOT have SAT scores, ACT scores, or trasnferrable college credit for math.  Students who opt not to take ALEKS--and who don't have qualifying SAT/ACT scores nor college credit--will be most likely taking math with support (pathway 4) their first year.

What if I still have questions?

Contact us at develops@sfsu.edu.